Tuesday 4 August 2009

Another day, another test

9 days gone in my incursion into bloggology (or whatever it's called) and already I am slacking! Not a sniff of a blogg since Thursday (not that I recommend sniffing bloggs).
When I first encountered Twitter (and Facebook) I thought "Where do they find the time (to post all that stuff)?! Of course, I now see it only takes a few seconds to toss off a little tweet. But a post on a blog requires a tad more consideration ("Not in your case" I can hear you snipping).
I have already given you a little insight into the highs and lows of driving tests, but one advantage is that I get approx forty minutes to myself (unless there are other instructors to chat to) - so this is ideal blogging time. Currently, my pupil, Cameron, is off on his 2nd test. Fingers crossed, as always.
No news yet of when we are to change to the Fiat 500. BSM has an internet forum for instructors and, in general, most instructors are not happy bunnies. As I have said earlier, I drive a 1.3 diesel corsa, which is fine - quite responsive - but I think the indicators are stupid. Earlier today I took a pupil, Staci (yes, with an 'i') on a lesson in her car, a Mini. I don't know what it was, but, despite the fact that there were no dual controls, I felt more relaxed than I usually do when pupils drive my Corsa. Maybe it was because the smaller turning circle meant it was easier for her to keep in the correct lane; but I think it was mainly because, approaching junctions and roundabouts, being a petrol car, it had a bit more zip to accelerate when a gap appeared.
Like the Corsa, we are being offered (eventually) a choice between a 1.2 petrol or 1.3 diesel. I initially had the 1.2 petrol Corsa which was a slug. It felt too heavy for the engine and struggled up hills. It averaged about 44mpg, not too bad considering a lot of those miles are maneouvres and junctions (all thirsty things for a car to do). I changed to the 1.3 diesel and it was a different car altogether. Not only is it much more pokey - it will sail comfortably up hills in 5th that the petrol would struggle in 4th - but it is much cheaper. I currently average 59.9mpg (trying to break the 60 barrier) which is fantastic considering the type of driving it does (especially when diesel is the same price as petrol (I almost said 'as cheap as') at present. In fact, whenever I see a 1.2 petrol Corsa I always think 'Why?'.
As far as I know, the initial batch of Fiats will all be petrol. I can't see them being as gutless as the Corsa because it is a much lighter car, but I will looking forward to swapping it to a diesel.
Talking of 'zip', as you probably know, instructor cars are fitted with dual controls - a clutch and a brake. However, I am surely not the only instructor who has had occasions when they wish they had a dual accelerator. I try not to use the controls unless I have to. I have to scan the road ahead and see potential hazards in advance of the pupil seeing them. If I then think that the pupil is not braking effectively enough I will (calmly, I hope) say something like "Just bring your speed down a bit". If that has no effect I will up it a bit to a simple "Brake". If that still has no effect I will then use my dual brake - It is quicker than screaming "OH MY GOD, WE'RE GOING TO DIE!! BRAAAAKKKKE!!!!!!!!" Anyway, there are occasions when I need a dial accelerator. For instance, if a pupil has an opportunity to go at a roundabout, but they are a bit slow moving off, there is nothing I can physically do if a car comes round a bit fast. I can say "accelerate", but this rapidly escalates to "GET YOUR RIGHT FOOT DOWN!!!!" (it is essential to include the "RIGHT" in that sentence!).
Time to go. I am expecting Cameron to come careering into the Test Centre car-park anytime now (not really, Cameron's mum).

No comments:

Post a Comment