Tuesday 4 August 2009

Test update

Crack open the champagne. No reason, it's just a nice drink. Actually, you can celebrate Cameron passing his test. I promised Cameron I would update this.
I didn't mention it earlier, but, at the start of his test, he stalled just as he drove away from the TC (Test Centre for those not versed in Instructor jargon) - not a good start. As nerves unexpectedly got the better of him in the first test I started fearing the worst when I saw the stall. The test usually lasts 35 - 45 minutes, so my mild anxiety was becoming less mild when he still hadn't returned after 50 minutes.
After 53 minutes (there had been some traffic - unheard of in Inverness!), he returned to the TC and I waited expectantly outside. What, as an instructor, I don't want to see is the examiner looking towards me and opening his door; that almost always means that he/she wants me to hear why they have failed. Although, with Inverness being the warmest place in Britain today (a very pleasant 26 degrees C), it could have just meant the examiner wanted to cool down.
Of course, having ruined the suspense in the opening paragraph, you already know that he passed. He did so with 7 minor faults (15 is the maximum allowed), which is obviously good enough; but, if he had been a bit more careful with his handbrake (FOUR faults for not putting the handbrake all the way down!) he would have had an excellent 3 faults. Cameron!
Anyway, well done Cameron. You worked hard and learned quickly. All the best in Perth, although I know you'll be very tearful to say 'goodbye' to The Newton Hotel. Just continue driving the way you do and take care on the roads (especially when you are anywhere near me).

No comments:

Post a Comment