Wednesday 26 August 2009

Spring forward, fall back

Silly me. The weather forecast for last night and this morning was very dreich ('wet and dismal'). Yet, I awoke to sunshine and the promise of another braw ('fine or excellent' - I'll soon have you speaking like Rab C Nesbitt) day. Perusing my vast wardrobe, I decided that short sleeves were definitely required.
Three hours later and I'm regretting that decision. The sky is greyer than an accountant's wheelie-bin, the rain is getting heavier and I'm even considering turning the temperature up a wee bit. In fact, I hate to say it, but it's all feeling a bit....... autumnal.
I find the Summer/Autumn change to be the most discrete (as opposed to 'discreet'). The changes from Autumn to Winter and Spring to Summer are less perceptible. It seems that one minute we are watching The Ashes, walking dogs in daylight at 11pm, wearing short-sleeves, drinking Pimms and hoping that the weekend will be nice enough for a barbie; the next minute 'experts' are already saying that such-and-such Premiership team are doomed/odds-on for the title, the dogs are walked at 7pm, I have to decide whether to take a jacket 'just in case', the Pimms had been replaced by Laphroaig and I am more likely to cook a ghoulash than light up the barbie.
But there is one sure sign that Autumn is definitely on its way........ Strictly come dancing.
Like millions of others who shuddered at the thought of Come dancing in the Terry Wogan era, I have to confess to liking 'Strictly' (as it is compulsory to call it). I have no idea how I could have first sat there, on a Saturday evening, thinking 'this looks to be the best thing on' (at whatever time it was). I can only imagine it must have been Jane watching it and me reading, or something; but, gradually, taking note of Brucie's professionalism or Brunos' histrionics or a dancer's ineptitude, until, like millions of others, I found myself actually enjoying (rather than scoffing at) it.
I'm hoping that Phil Tufnell and Craig Kelly ('Luke' from Coronation Street) get to the final; I like 'Tuffers' (especially on TMS), and what man doesn't like Flavia Cacace (Craig Kelly's partner)? Of course, you want them to be a bit crap to start with so you can watch them improve - you can follow their 'journey' (as they insist upon saying) - no-one should be really good at the start.
So, yes, I am sort of looking forward to sitting down on a Saturday night, with a plate of ghoulash and a hefty tumbler of Laphroaig, to watch Strictly... (although I shall be disappointed that Total Wipeout will take a break). But, at the same time, I think it's a shame that, above all, Strictly... means one thing...... Summer has gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment