Wednesday 12 August 2009

Just smile


I consider that I've been quite lucky with my career so far. I have never had a single job where I dreaded going in to work. Without doubt, I have had one or two jobs where I thought the boss was a complete tosspot, but there has always been something about each job which made me want to go in each day (and it was never the money).
As I am sure I have already said (and sorry to bore you if that is the case), but I absolutely love this job: The pupils, the freedom to choose my own hours, the variety, the challenges and, most of all, the satisfaction from seeing my pupils improve - whether it is when they pass their test, or maybe just when they struggle at, say, roundabouts, but they reach that point where it 'clicks' and they no longer fear them.
The one aspect the job lacks is camaraderie with colleagues. Having spent many years working in environments where 'the customer is always right', it was always reassuring to have workmates to chat with and swap tales of how, in fact, the customer is usually wrong.... and stupid.... and ignorant..... and rude.
Actually, to be fair, that is one of the benefits of being with BSM; we have an office/shop in Inverness where the instructors (and pupils) can go, arrange their diaries, discuss how best to tackle particular junctions etc, have a coffee, book tests, or just chat. Additionally, there is also a BSM internet forum where instructors and head office staff can post their views and discuss all aspects of the industry.
That aside, there is little interaction with other instructors. The only time when I might get to meet instructors from other schools, or independent instructors, is when we are at the test centre, waiting for anxiously for our pupils to return from their tests. Generally the conversation is fairly banal, but it is always good-natured and supportive. Because there seems to be plenty of work to go around, there is no competetiveness and, also, there is (usually) mutual respect.
That relationship between instructors is also apparent on the roads. We tend to acknowledge each other with a wave whenever we pass and we try to ensure that our own pupils are fully aware that the learner driver in the car in front of them may be less confident/competent than themselves. Of course, there are often times when I am so busy watching ensuring that my pupil is negotiating a particular junction/road/traffic light correctly that acknowledging another instructor is far down my list of priorities.
Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.
There are two or three instructors (independents) who NEVER wave, nod or show the slightest gesture of acknowledgement. Even my pupils observe this, "He's miserable - he never waves" was a comment from one of my pupils yesterday, referring to another instructor who had just passed us. This morning I was driving into Inverness: A beautiful, sunny morning; hardly any traffic; the Moray Firth on my right is as still as a millpond and glistening in the morning sun; A few fluffy clouds float above the mountains to the west; 'Foxbase Alpha' by Saint Etienne is playing loudly on my CD player. What a glorious way to start the day - I almost started singing. I saw the 'miserable' instructor heading towards me - a straight bit of road and no pupil to concentrate on - I gave him a big, obvious wave.... nothing.
Of course, I have two options: I could just agree with my pupil and ignore him in future. But I won't do this. I shall keep waving and smiling at him. One day I might even get a smile back.

No comments:

Post a Comment