Friday 21 August 2009

Advanced Spanish

An early start this morning. Scott had an 8.40am test (his 3rd attempt) in Inverness. Because he had an hour lesson beforehand I had to set off for work at 6.45. Yes, I know that many of you probably have to get up for work before you even go to bed, but I am NOT a morning person.
Scott's lessons started promisingly back in March, he picked up the basics very quickly (or so I thought). He was intending to move to Canada in the Summer, so, with hindsight, we probably rushed into the first test before he was completely ready. I was rather confident about his 2nd attempt, but he cut across a lane whilst going ahead at a roundabout and failed.
Funnily enough, I was less confident this time; he has not had as many 'refresher' lessons since his last test as I would have liked and was having to think too much about his driving, i.e it wasn't natural to him. Also, Scott now had a definite date for his move to Canada so there was increased pressure because, if he failed, he would not have time to book a 4th test.
As I have previously mentioned, when the pupil drives back in to the Test Centre, the last thing I want to see is the examiner opening his door and gesturing for me to listen to his debrief - it means he wants me to hear what went wrong. 45 minutes after the start of his test, Scott drove back into the TC. He very carefully brought the car to a stop and I waited. Just as I was thinking that everything was ok the examiner swung opened his door and gestured to me :(
"Well....." the examiner began, "I'm pleased to tell you that you have passed...."
I could feel a 'but' coming.
"BUT,"
Told you.
".... I just feel that your driving was 'borderline' and I recommend you continue with your lessons, or take the Pass Plus course."
I thanked the examiner (as I always do - it is not in my interest to be anything less than polite to the examiners) and congratulated Scott. By the time I had dropped him off home I wasn't convinced that it had really sunk in that he had passed - his fingers were shaking when he lit up his post-test cigarette. Anyway, well done Scott and all the best for your new life in Canada.

So that was a new one for me. Personally, I think that, if the examiner thinks he isn't good enough to be let loose on the road, he should fail him. Scott incurred 8 minor faults (you are allowed 15), but anything the examiner considered to be unsafe should have warranted a serious fault and, therefore, a fail. Scott's a sensible chap; he told me that, before he flies off, he would go out a few times with his mum in the car. I also stressed to him that passing the test was just the minimum qualification required to drive on the road and that he should always look to improve his driving.... Not advice that I followed for the first twenty years of my driving, I'll readily admit.

In the hour's lesson before his test, a woman, in an obvious hurry was right up Scott's backside. I always teach my pupils the importance of making progress, keeping up with the flow of traffic, so as not to hold up other road users. It was a 40mph road and Scott was bang on 40. The flow of traffic coming in the other direction meant that there was no way she could overtake us, but she insisted on driving within a few metres of our car. I had planned to take a left turn a mile ahead, so I just told Scott not to worry about her, but to scan the road ahead and look for anything that might cause him to brake - we didn't want to have to brake harshly. As the left turn approached Scott checked his mirrors and indicated with perfect timing. He then braked progressively, changed to 2nd gear and executed a perfect turn but the woman only just missed us.
Part of my initial inspiration for this blog was that of another instructor (http://www.diaryofanadi.com/). On his website he has 'Roll of shame', in which he names and shames any driver that drives dangerously or stupidly. Personally, I can't really be bothered to take details of every 'bad' driver I come across, but you should certainly look out for, and avoid, the lady in a gold coloured Mitsubishi Pajero (registration number: K942XFF ). As a brief aside, do you know what 'Pajero' means? To find the answer try http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pajero or http://chameleon-translations.com/Index-Companies-pajero.shtml. You learn something every day!

A bit of a trek (about 45 miles) to Lossiemouth, after Scott's test, for my next lesson with Caroline. After 4 prior hours dealing with Lossie's hillside junctions, today I pushed Caroline out of the nest and into the big wide world of Elgin's roundabouts and 60mph roads. I think she held her breath for the whole two hours, but did really well and made a dramatic improvement.

I then had a couple of hours gap before my next lesson, so I sat overlooking Lossie's beach, typing this blog, enjoying a bacon roll from Smillies bakers and making the most of the clear blue sky.

Just when I thought the day could not get any better, my journey to my next pupil, Verity, coincided with Radio 5live's coverage of Stuart Broad's rampage through the Australian batting order in the decisive 5th Test at The Oval. Too early to celebrate a victory yet, but it's hard to believe that even England could cock it up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment