Thursday 30 July 2009

Pride (in the name of love)

I had a bit of a gap between two lessons the other day. I parked by Elgin library and sat in my car, catching up with some paperwork. A navy blue, 16 year-old Ford Granada (remember them?) parked opposite and a man, in his late 30s/early 40s got out, wearing a navy windcheater with double white stripes on the arms. He then spent the next hour applying white 'go-faster' stripes to the sides of his car (presumably so that it would match his windcheater). He took so much care applying these stripes. He would apply a metre, or so, then step back to check that it was straight; re-applying when necessary. When he finally finished he stepped back and appraised his efforts from every angle possible.
On the face of it, not a very interesting story, but I was quite touched by the pride that he took in his car - it was a curious wee vignette on this man's life. Such a shame then, that, when he got back in his car and drove off, I got to see the unsightly dents in the other side of the car - but at least he had skilfully applied the stripes with absolute precision across the dents.

Jane (my wife) and I have just returned from the opening concert at Speyfest, Fochabers. We went mainly to see Julie Fowlis, who we both think is a talent beyond compare. She was actually supporting The Dougie MacLean band. We didn't know much about him, other than that he wrote 'Caledonia', which, for those of you on the wrong side of the border, has been the anthem of Scotland's 2009 Homecoming year.
With almost unrivalled experience of what a busy bar can be like (from both sides), the bar at the venue was a welcome surprise. A long bar, with about a dozen bar-staff, I was waiting at the bar, surrounded by hundreds of people, wondering what were the odds of getting served before the music started. In these situations, it is so hard for the barstaff to know who is 'next'. The girl behind the bar finished serving someone and then asked 'Yes?', while looking at a man a couple of metres from me. He said 'This lady is next' (pointing at the lady next to him), who, in turn, said 'But this man is before me (pointing at me)'. I almost wanted to find someone in the crowd who might possibly have been waiting longer than me. A bit different to New Years' Eves at The Prince of Wales Feathers!
Julie Fowlis, with her incredibly talented band (including Duncan Chisholm on the fiddle), was just sensational: Funny, modest, involving and blessed with talents that would make Simon Cowell implode (hopefully). The music was incredibly evocative, mesmeric and enchanting. If you ever get the chance to see her live, GO! You will not regret it.
The Dougie MacLean band seemed to be keenly anticipated, but I just found them....... dull. I was going to say 'soporific' (a clock has more variety in tempo), but the way he introduced EVERY song by reciting the chorus beforehand and urging the audience to join in, repeating the chorus endlessly until he got the required response, was such a nerve-pricking irritant that sleep was out of the question. I ached for The Damned to charge the stage and launch into an electrified rendition of 'Smash it up'.
I bet Dougie MacLean has never had 'go-faster' stripes... on anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment