Monday 21 September 2009

Hurry-up Harry

Deciding when to put a pupil forward for test is often a bit of a balancing act. As I have said before, I will not let a pupil take their test (at least not in my car) if I do not think they are ready.
There is never any guarantee that anyone will pass. Earlier this year, I was very confident that Francis would pass 1st time; he could control the car perfectly, had good awareness and practicing the four reversing manoeuvres almost became boring, it was so easy. As you will have guessed - he failed. Something so simple; the examiner asked Francis to stop the car somewhere 'suitable' (safe, legal and convenient) and he stopped opposite a junction - D'Oh!

Because of this, I don't believe in insisting pupils have to be perfect before they can take their test. Times are hard for most people and £50 a lesson is a lot of money for people to find each week. Naturally, I would never devalue my profession - I am teaching a 'life-or-death' skill - but I don't agree with instructors who seem to unnecessarily prolong the course of lessons because they have a lack of business.

I went on about this a bit the other day with my 'Cruel to be kind' posts, so I apologise for the repetition. As in that post, I encountered contrasting attitudes in my pupils the last few days:

Tasmin learned to drive with other instructors in Forres. She is studying to become a vet at university and was really hoping to pass her test before she returned to uni'. Her nearest TC is Elgin, but she could not get a test appointment in time. So, she booked her test in Inverness, despite not having driven there previously. She took a few lessons in Inverness with her instructor and also practiced with her mum accompanying her. A week before her test, she was still unsure about some of the larger roundabouts in Inverness, so she called BSM and asked if an instructor could give her a couple of extra lessons.
She had a 2 hour lesson on Wednesday, then a 4(!) hour lesson on Friday with me. I barely had to say anything about her driving; her control and road-awareness were fine. Over those 6 hours we made sure that she was comfortable and confident with every roundabout, junction and manoeuvre. I would not be taking her for her Saturday test because I already had a lesson booked and she wanted to take it in her mum's car anyway.
She failed. The examiner asked her to pull over by the side of the road, then informed her that they were going to do a 'Controlled Stop' (Emergency Stop). She made her observations and, when it was clear, she drove off. Within a few seconds, a car appeared behind her and she hesitated: She should have driven normally and let the examiner decide whether to abandon the exercise, or to pull over and try again (obviously, the examiner would not command her to STOP if there was a car close behind). Unfortunately, her hesitation caused the approaching car to overtake - one serious fault.
Her mum called me to let me know. I was surprised at how disappointed I was (particularly as she had only picked up 3 minor faults). But I think the reason why I was especially disappointed was because Tasmin (and her mum) had put so much time, effort and money into her driving. They weren't trying to pass as cheaply and with as little effort as possible.
Tasmin is a far better driver than many people who have passed their test, so I hope she perseveres and re-books her test as soon as she can.

So, after hearing Tasmin's news, I wasn't in the happiest of moods when I went to pick up my next pupil. This was a lesson with someone - let's call him 'Harry 2' - who had also had some lessons with other instructors. When I get pupils who have been taught by someone else, I spend the first 10 - 15 minutes just watching their driving, without interfering too much. Junctions (including roundabouts) were 'ok' but he seemed unsure about crossroads. We stopped and I went through all the theory, then we put it into practice. Towards the end of the lesson I had a look at Turn in the road and Left reverse - they were also 'ok'. When we got back to his house I asked him if he was happy to have a 2 hour lesson at the same time every Saturday.
"Well, I was thinking about putting in for my test."
"I don't think we should be thinking about that just yet. It was promising today, but there are aspects we need to work on. Besides, I need to have a look at your Bay parking and you haven't even been taught Parallel parking yet. Also, you have not driven on dual-carriageways yet, so there is quite a lot to learn before we can think about your test."
"Yes, but I might not get Parallel Parking in the test. I just think that I should be driving by now, so I 'want a go' at the test, even if I fail."
(Steam is beginning to trickle out of my ears now) "But you still need to learn how to Parallel park, how to enter/exit a dual-carriageway, how to overtake, how to deal with Pedestrian Crossings and... you need to be able to do it ALL without me." (Trying to talk calmly and upbeat, but making it clear what I think). "I'll tell you what, next lesson, we shall have a look at Parallel Parking, Pedestrian Crossings and Dual-carriageways, then we will be in a better position to make a decision."

The trouble is...... 'Harry 2' could book his test, get lucky and pass.... with minimal time, effort and money spent. It's highly unlikely, but it is possible. Just as it is possible that someone, like Tasmin, could be the opposite (commited, hard-working and patient), but be unlucky and fail. It's not a gender thing. I have (or, have had) plenty of young lads who have worked hard on their driving, whilst some of the girls just want to be able to drive to their friend's as soon as possible. Perhaps, like Monsieur Hobbs, I should bring in my own 'Reign of terror'! I shall rule with an iron dual-control. That'll teach 'em!

Today's delicious ditty: http://open.spotify.com/track/6F5hPnwW7de7IcAuU7wYZr . Not as 'bouncy' as The Twelves remix for FIFA '09, but I couldn't find that, so the original will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment