Monday 7 September 2009

Cruel to be kind

Unusually nervous at the moment - it has been a while since I did this. I am back at Inverness Test Centre, while Andrzej is out impressing Paul, the examiner (hopefully).

I know he can drive; I wouldn't let him put in for his test otherwise. But he has put so much pressure on himself to pass first time that nerves may get the better of him. In the lesson before the test everything seemed a bit rushed and, consequently, some of the maneouvres were not good enough (he can usually do them without the slightest problem). My last words of advice were for him to take his time and listen to what the examiner is asking him to do. We shall see...

There are basically two types of pupils: Those who want to be able to pass their test a.s.a.p, and those who want to learn to drive. There is a difference. Passing the driving test is the absolute minimum requirement for being allowed on the road, but it should be the start of a pupil's learning, not the finish (and I am living proof of that).

This weekend I had lessons with perfect examples of these two 'types': Pupil 'A' (I shall call him 'Harry') has had 22 hours tuition and has booked his test for next month, with only 4 more hours of lessons. He is not ready and I cannot really see him being ready in time. Pupil 'B' (let him be known as 'Bob') has also had 22 hours tuition and drives very well. Although I am confident that he could pass his test tomorrow, he has not passed his Theory Test yet, but wants to continue taking 2 hour lessons each week up until his test.

I will have to see how it goes with 'Harry'. It may be that we can iron out all the wrinkles in time, but I am not optimistic. I think I will have to give him a mock test in a week or two to determine whether he is ready. If not, it is my duty to tell him to postpone his test. This isn't something I enjoy doing - especially if they are so looking forward to passing - but it is in their interests for me to do so. Firstly, for financial reasons: The Test now costs £63, plus the £45 - £50 they have to pay me for my time. That's £110 you don't really want to waste. Also, if I allow someone to take their test who I would not be happy to let drive my grandchildren, then there is a possibility they could get lucky and pass, but still be an unsafe driver. Additionally, the examiners really don't like it if someone, who obviously isn't ready, goes to take their test (because they are at risk themselves) and this reflects on the instructor. I once had the Senior Examiner pull me to one side after a test; he said I should not have put that particular pupil forward because she was not ready. She was ready; she was a reasonable driver and had passed her mock test with relative ease, it was just that she fell to pieces in the test.
From that day on, I have been much more strict in whether I will allow a pupil to take their test. Do you remember me talking about Staci (the one with the 'plunging neckline')? She booked her first test herself before I thought she was ready. A week before her test I still didn't feel she was ready, so I told her to postpone. She didn't want to. I then had to tell her that, although it was her choice whether she went ahead with the test, she would not be taking it in my car. She took the test in her own car and failed (that time).
I wish more pupils were like 'Bob'. He just wants to be a good driver and never talks about the test. As far as he is concerned, he is paying me to teach him how to be safe on the roads, not just to get him through the test with as few lessons as possible. He watches other road users and analyses the good aspects of their driving, as well as the bad. He wants to learn what will make him a better driver - as opposed to a certain other pupil, who is always asking "Would that be a minor fault?" or "Would the examiner fail me for that?". If you are currently learning to drive, FORGET THE TEST! You will progress more quickly if you just listen and think about how you can improve every aspect of your driving.

Andrzej passed his test, so congratulations to him. He is especially pleased because he will now be able to take his two children out in the car. And, yes, I would be happy to let him drive my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment