Friday 10 June 2011

Stepping stone

I struggle to remember my own driving lessons; they were further back than I care to admit. I remember my instructor had a VW Polo, with which I was very impressed, it had a solid, chunky feel. Apart from the first lesson, which was up and down some of the rural roads surrounding Billington, my lessons seemed to consist of driving along the road between Leighton Buzzard and Heath & Reach, doing a 3-point turn, driving back, doing a left reverse, driving back, etc. Although we did one, I can't remember actually doing an emergency stop, although I do remember my instructor telling me he would have to charge me extra ('for wear') when I asked if we could practice the emergency stop before my test.
I remember he seemed really old to me (but my pupils probably think that about me now), and I found it very disconcerting how he would grab my hand when I was struggling to get it into the correct gear (such a bony hand too).
The only other thing I can really remember is my first lesson. It probably wasn't the case, but, on approaching a left turn, it seemed that the instruction was
 “Turn left up ahead. CheckyourmirrorsindicatenowbrakechangegearBRAKE..Too late.....we'll try the next one.”
' WHHAAATT!?!?!' Was my reaction. 'Are you mental? How on earth can you expect me to do all those things at once?!' I thought. It seemed ludicrous that so many things had to be done in such a short space of time. So now I take great care in explaining to pupils that, if they begin the M-S-M process early, there is no panic and they should find they have ample time to check mirrors, indicate, think about their position, get to the correct speed, choose the correct gear and look at the situation before they commit themselves to any turn. And, if they do begin the process late, they can still give themselves more time by using the brakes progressively.
As I have mentioned before, it is always rewarding when I see my former pupils driving around. They always seem so confident and competent; very different from their early lessons. Yesterday in Ullapool, towards the end of a marathon 10 hour day, I parked to make a phone call and three of my former pupils, Jayanne, Michael and Karen, approached me and we had a brief chat. They have spent the last year in university, travelling the world and getting up to who knows what. So I asked them the incredibly lame "How's the driving going?' 'How's the driving going?' ?!?! They were great drivers over a year ago. They have driven campervans on the other side of the world. They probably perform quadratic equations in their head and recite Hamlet backwards when they drive. They won't be giving a second thought to their driving by now. But, to me, I still think of them as my pupils. I still remember when they stalled when moving off, or made a complete mess of a parallel park, or sat at a junction waiting for an oncoming car that was three miles away.
So I was just their stepping stone. They have long since crossed that river and doubtless never give me a thought as they reverse into a bay at the supermarket or negotiate a busy roundabout in Glasgow. At least I can console myself that they don't remember me as that stingy old man who used to place his bony hand on mine when I changed gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment