Tuesday 31 May 2011

Once bitten....

By the end of the last century I had been landlord of The Cross Keys, Totternhoe for almost eight years and wanted to do something different. While I worked out what that 'something' was going to be, I went travelling solo though Central America and Mexico for four months. A fantastic experience, despite being pick-pocketed twice, having my passport stolen and being mugged.
The mugging was the worse. I was in Panama City and had walked down to the Bridge of The Americas, which spans the Panama Canal. Walking back to my hostel, I had an uneasy feeling that someone was a bit too close behind me. As I spun round, an arm wrapped around my neck and we both fell to the pavement. The next thing I knew he had his knee pressing into my chest and he thrust his hand into my pockets. When his hand clutched what obviously felt like money, he jumped up and ran off. My initial (stupid) reaction was to run after him, shouting. I soon realised, however, that he had only got away with about four dollars; not worth me running into further trouble for.
I may have only lost the equivalent of about £2.50, but it shook me a bit and made me a more wary person. Even once I had returned home, a couple of months later, I still felt uneasy whenever I became aware of anyone walking behind me. That feeling returned this morning....
My car is still off the road and "because of the bank holiday" I am still waiting on a replacement. However, I managed one lesson yesterday because the pupil wants lessons in her own car. We were in Inverness, working on her approach to roundabouts when we came to a set of traffic lights, with the lights on red. While we were waiting I had that uneasy feeling of someone behind me. No spare mirror in her car, so I turned to look over my shoulder and I could not believe what I saw. Not only was it a bus, but it was the same bus driver that went into the back of me on Saturday! I don't think I have ever felt so uneasy in all my time as a driving instructor. Fortunately, my pupil pulled away nicely from the lights and there was no repeat of Saturday.
Because I was not in my own car, I doubt that the bus driver even considered that it was me in front of him. But I hope he has learned his lesson and will wait for the vehicle in front of him to move away before he brings his clutch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment