Monday 30 May 2011

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

Life is determined not to be straightforward.
On Monday Jane and I flew back from Luton to Inverness. The weather reports were not good; extremely strong winds were hammering the north of Britain and we were concerned that our flight would be cancelled. Then, there followed news about another Icelandic volcano also threatening the operation of flights. Our flight was ok, if a little bumpy, but subsequent flights were cancelled.
Yesterday morning I had a six-hour Pass Plus course with James, who passed with about six weeks ago. A very nice driver, he only picked up two driving faults on his test, but he has had had little experience on dual-carriageways and, with the Highland Council helping with a grant, it made sense to undertake the course.
Inverness was getting busy with Saturday shoppers and we approached the Millburn Road dual-carriageway from Diriebught Road, intending to turn right. The road was busy in both directions, but James was able to cross the first lane and wait in the central reservation. It seemed as though we would have to wait some time for a gap in the traffic approaching from our left but we were surprised when an oncoming bus began slowing and flashing his lights. His intention was clearly to let James out. Very nice of him but it was a decision we would all regret.

If you think back to your maths and physics lessons, you may vaguely remember something about Newton's Laws of Motion. I can't remember which is which, but I remember doing lots of sums concerning 'a body of mass, m, subject to a net force, F, undergoes an acceleration, a, that has the same direction as the force and a magnitude that is directly proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass, i.e. F=ma. One of the other laws states that a body at rest will remain at rest until acted upon by an external force. When you are at school and the teacher writes this on whatever they use instead of blackboards these day it can initially make you think "?!?!?!". However, in practice, it becomes very clear.
For example: When my car is at rest and is hit by an accelerating bus weighing up to 18,000kg (with passengers), we can apply the formula F=ma, and calculate that the force was effing horrendous.

After the bus let us out, James drove up to the Raigmore Interchange, a big, fast roundabout beneath the A9. He was looking for gaps in the traffic as he approached, but ultimately had to stop and wait. Waiting for a gap at a junction can be streesful even for a more experienced driver, but I always reassure my pupils, telling them not to take chances and wait for a clear gap. Of course, this is not made any easier by the facts that half the drivers on the roundabout are not indicating correctly or are even in the wrong lane. And there is a big bus behind us.
After about a minute, I can see a gap in the approaching traffic. This is a Pass Plus, so I expect James to see this too. He sees the gap, but is slightly hesitant in moving off. WHAM! One instant I am looking at the traffic, making sure it is still safe for James to accelerate, the next thing I know, there is an almighty bang, glass shatters and I am aware of the fact that, for a split second, I am now looking at the interior roof of the car as my head gets thrown back (yes, my head restraint was correctly positioned). Momentum throws us forward and the noise of traffic has increased because the rear window has completely shattered.

I checked that James was ok and asked him to sit in the back of the car while I get out and have a little chat with the bus driver. I actually felt a little bit sorry for him because he had been kind enough to let us out into the traffic (although, with hindsight, I wish he hadn't). His main concern was that he might lose his job. Because he was carrying passengers, it was his obligation to call the police (who were very prompt) and their main priority was obviously to get us moved away from the roundabout as soon as possible. The bus driver asked me to agree that he had given me plenty of room. "Yes....to start with, you did." I replied. He then explained that he thought my pupil was moving off faster than he actually did. There was no question that, regardless how quickly James was moving off, the bus driver was 100% in the wrong (and I had to keep reassuring James about that). Once we had swapped details, and the police were satisfied with what had happened, I drove away.
Luckily, the car was still ok to drive, although it was amazing how much damage a bus could do from a standing start, but I had to pull over when I could to clear as much shattered glass as possible. James comes from Durness, 105 miles and over two hours away. So doing his Pass Plus all in one 6-hour session made sense. I was pleased to hear that, although we would obviously have to end that session prematurely, he was keen to return in the next couple of weeks to complete the course.
Once I finally arrived home I was straight on the phone to my insurance company. Typically, because it was now Saturday afternoon, it was outside of office hours and, although someone was there to register my claim, she could make no promises about how quickly things could be resolved - especially as it was a bank holiday weekend.
So here I sit: No car and three, maybe four days of lessons cancelled. This is particularly frustrating as I had a new pupil scheduled on Saturday afternoon and, even though it is not my fault, it still feels slightly uncomfortable telling a new pupil that my car had been involved in an accident. Many thanks to friends and family who have offered to lend me their cars, but it is in my pupils' best interests if I just postpone their lessons.
I'm beginning to wish that that volcano had erupted a day earlier and our flights had been cancelled after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment