Saturday 15 January 2011

Cruel to be kind

Horrible, horrible, horrible.
Following on from my last post, where I talked about "Zoe's" troubles, today was the day where we had to decide whether she should postpone her test, which is booked for next week.
Obviously, when someone starts a course of driving lessons, it is because they want to pass their driving test and gain that wonderful freedom to drive wherever they want, when they want. Because driving lessons cost money, it is understandable that most people want to pass as quickly as possible. In 'Zoe's' case, she has been patient and taken years (and several driving instructors). I will take immense pride from being the instructor that finally gives her the ability and confidence to drive solo and pass her test. 'Drive solo' - That is what the examiners are, ultimately, asking themselves, "Do I think this person will be fine driving on his/her own, in all situations?" It is the same question I ask myself when I consider whether a pupil should apply for their test. I have said before, I sometimes ask myself 'would I be happy for this person to drive my granchildren around?'
Today I simply told 'Zoe' that she was on her own, but I would give directions (i.e. test conditions). If she got into a problem, she would have to get herself out of it.
At the end of the lesson I knew that she was not yet ready. Our respective work commitments meant that we probably would not be able to fit in more than one more lesson before her test, which was not enough in my opinion. Usually this is not a problem, we simply postpone the test for a few weeks. Unfortunately, 'Zoe's' theory test pass was nearly two years ago and a postponement would mean that her theory test would be invalid. Either way she was going to lose money: If she cancels her test, she would have to retake her theory; but if she went ahead and took her test, I thought it would be unlikely that she would pass, therefore, a waste of money. Besides, the examiners would take a dim view of me if I put someone forward for a test who I did not think would pass.
She was naturally very upset and berated herself for all the hours (and money) she had spent on her driving. Her initial reaction was to say that 'she was going to give up driving, she is obviously not a 'natural driver', and she was going to spend her money (that she would otherwise spend on lessons) on holidays, clothes and things that make her feel good'. Now, I'm not going to give up on anyone, but, at the same time, I'm not going to bully them when they least feel like it. I tried to emphasise all that is really good about her driving and to remind her that she is actually very close to being ready to drive solo or, if you prefer, 'test-ready'. She got out of the car, still very upset, and we agreed that she would take a few weeks break, see how she felt after that, then work on any aspects of her driving that were lacking in confidence.
Several hours and a few other lessons later, I still feel bad about telling her to cancel her test. She has text me to apologise for getting upset, but I told her not to be daft and to enjoy her few weeks away from driving (or from me). It was an horrible feeling, as we neared the end of that lesson, knowing that I would have to advise her against taking her test, but, it is my responsibilty to make sure my pupils are safe drivers. I couldn't honestly say that 'Zoe' is a safe driver............. but she will be one day.

(Thinking of the title for this post has got me singing this all afternoon - not out loud you will be relieved to hear.)

No comments:

Post a Comment