Monday 31 January 2011

Can you hear the drums Fernando?

All (relatively) quiet on the Northern front at the moment, weather is 'benign', pupils are behaving themselves and the less secular have had little cause to comment on my blog. I even had someone from BSM suggesting that my blog was 'a bit boring recently'. I cried all the way home.
Fortunately, things get a bit more exciting over the next few weeks. Several new pupils starting (Two of them called me while I had popped into the BSM office in Inverness for a social visit.... I shall have to drop by their office more often!) and a few pupils have tests looming. After the doldrums of late November/December, it is pleasing to get the wind back in the sails and be able to plan weeks ahead, rather than days.
Today's gap in lessons means I can keep an eye on football's transfer deadline day. It always baffles me why nothing much happens all through January, then, on the last day, clubs go mad (or is it just the media?) and there is a mad rush for last-minute deals. Obviously disappointed that Fernando Torres handed in his transfer request, but he is not having a great season and, if Liverpool can get £40 - 50 million for him, it will be quite good business. I remember how disappointed I was when I heard Liverpool had sold Robbie Fowler to Leeds. Torres may be very good, but he's not 'God'. It may be possible that you are not familiar with Robbie's genius, so there is a very brief intro to his amazing finishing at the end of this post. Whether it was scoring a 4-minute hat-trick past David Seaman, lobbing Peter Schmeichel, overhead kicks, pinpoint freekicks or blistering volleys, he could score with either foot (and his headers were pretty good too). If you read the comments on YouTube that follow the video, you will see that even Man Utd fans had an admiration for him. Last I heard, he was still scoring hat-tricks in the Australian league.
Not too sure about the rumours that Liverpool are to spend up to £35 million for Andy Carroll, but I'm not going to question King Kenny's decisions....not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment