Wednesday 21 July 2010

So far.........

Almost the first thing I did when I got the Clio was to call Caroline, a pupil of mine from Lossiemouth, to tell her the news. “Thank God for that. Does that mean I don’t have to drive that Fiat thing anymore?” Caroline had started with me when I had the diesel Corsa and, despite my best efforts, I could not persuade her to like the 500, even though her own car had a petrol engine.


The next day Caroline had an hour lesson in the Clio and finished the lesson beaming. Two days later she took her 4th attempt at the driving test and passed with 5 minor faults. “It was your ‘lucky’ car,” she explained, “I felt a lot more confident.” I think it may have more to do with all the hard work she had put it over the last few months, so mastering the Fiat’s clutch meant that she found the Clio’s easy in comparison.

Three days later, James was having his second attempt. He also liked the Clio and passed easily with just 2 minors.

Katie, who was heavily pregnant, was supposed to have had her test the following day (also her second attempt), but we were concerned that the test date was very close to the due date of her baby. However, on the Monday, four days before her test, she text me to say that she would have to postpone her test because she had gone into labour. I text her back to wish her luck and to ask her for her theory certificate number, so that I could rearrange her test. I didn’t get a reply, so I assumed that she had other priorities by this time, but it meant I could not rearrange her test. Then, Thursday night she text me to say that Monday had been a false alarm and could she still take her test tomorrow morning?

Thus, at 9.37 Friday morning, an extremely pregnant Katie and I were sat at Elgin Test Centre after Katie had had a very brief half-hour to get used to the Clio. Fergie, the examiner came out, went through the formalities and explained that the Senior Examiner would be accompanying them on the test. Poor Katie. That would not help her nerves. “Would you like Martin to sit in on the test?” asked Fergie. I am always happy to sit in if my pupil wants me to, but I did not dream for one minute that Katie would want four (actually, five) people in the car for her test. “Yes please.” She replied. The Senior Examiner tried to calm her nerves by telling her that he had helped deliver two babies in the past, but I’m not entirely sure that Katie was reassured by this fact. Although, it was a bit of a squeeze (and I had to bend my head forward), I did not mind sitting in the back of the Fiat for 45 minutes. In the Clio, however, it easily comfortable enough for all five of us (I guess I am being a bit presumptuous about junior). It was not the most enjoyable of tests for me. Pedestrians stepped out in front of her, cars cut across her without any indication or warning. It was like a 45 minute-long extreme hazard-perception video. Bearing all this in mind, I expected Fergie to put a bit more feeling into his voice when, at the end of the test, he simply said “You’ve passed.”




So, almost certainly tempting fate to say this but, after three tests, I have a 100% pass rate in my new car. (This is bound to be followed by a rash of fails now).

Although one or two have been caught out by the way a diesel ‘pulls’ when the speed is too low for a particular gear, all my pupils say they prefer the Clio. And, since ‘officially’ leaving BSM last week, I have picked up 4 brand new pupils through my own efforts, plus 2 as a parting ‘gift’ from BSM.

As I learned last winter, I can’t take the good times for granted - it is my own business now and I will have to work hard to keep business levels high. But, for now, I am happy, my pupils are happy, and Caroline, James, Katie and Katie Jnr are especially happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment