Friday 2 July 2010

Pariah

Well? First impressions of the Clio: After the Fiat, it seems very smooth. The longer wheelbase and softer suspension means that it feel much more composed on the road, where the 500 did get thrown about a bit. The 1.5dCi engine is powerful enough to enable overtaking with confidence, whereas the Fiat needed a lot of winding up to overtake. I will admit that, for me, it is not quite as much fun to drive, but it is much easier for my pupils to learn in. After five months trying to perfect their clutch control in the sensitive Fiat, the Clio's clutch is almost effortless and, after two full days, not one pupil has had a single stall. I haven't got time for a detailed review just now, I will do that soon, but, most importantly, my pupils (especially Caroline, who hated the Fiat) love it.

One amusing consequence of switching from my BSM Fiat to my own Renault (with minimal signage at the moment), is the reaction of other instructors. So long as it does not interfere with my tuition, I always acknowledge other instructors and they (usually) wave back. But, yesterday in Inverness, and today in Elgin, whenever I have waved at other instructors they have almost all narrowed their eyes and stared at me, giving the car a quick look-over as if to say 'Who is that new instructor encroaching upon my territory?' So, at the moment I feel a little bit of an outcast, but it certainly doesn't bother me. I just find it funny (ha ha).

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new business venture. I'm delighted for you and hope it goes really well, (I'm sure that it will be an enormous success). Now I'm even more disappointed that you live so far away from us; you could teach my son to drive and all the money would go straight to you! Just to think, never in a million years back in school, did we ever imagine you'd be driving around in a car with 'FarLe' on it!! Good Luck Farle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Helen. Hope you are all well and I hope your son is enjoying his driving lessons. Exciting times for me, but you can take some of the credit as you did make a contributory suggestion a couple of months back.

    ReplyDelete