Sunday 26 July 2009

Hello, good morning and welcome





A momentous event - my first post. What do I put? OK... this will mainly be about life as a driving instructor, but my thoughts may wander.


A bit of background I think:


BSM have just announced that they have signed a new deal with Fiat and are ending their current deal with Vauxhall. I currently have a Corsa diesel (see wee photo), but some instructors choose a slightly more expensive franchise to drive an Astra (we have another car, so we don't need the larger Astra). The new deal is to provide BSM instructors with the Fiat 500 (see big photo). My thoughts were mixed, initially (no change there then), but I am quite looking forward to it now. However, many instructors - particularly those with Astras - are outraged by the deal. I can sympathise; it is quite a drastic change and many instructors have their BSM Astra as their only car. I believe that BSM and Fiat should amend the deal so that instructors have the opportunity to teach in a larger car, such as the Grande Punto. Many instructors are threatening to leave BSM, and many of those are saying they will join the AA. But.... the AA are also rumoured to be changing their deal with Ford (Focus) to Citroen. Anyway, I will post when/if the situation changes.
Meanwhile, I have been asking a few pupils what they think of the Fiat 500:
Jamie: "It's neat. Will it have the same indicators though?" (Vauxhall have the most stupid indicators ever devised... I would almost rather my pupils used hand signals).
Darren: Hmmm... It's quite.... Dinky. Looks fun though".
Adam: "Honestly? I don't like it".
I will continue to poll my pupils and bring you their considered appraisals.

I don't usually give lessons on Sunday - it is nice to have one day off - but Adam only lives up the road, so I don't mind. He is progressing very well and, after only 9 hours, seems quite comfortable driving around Elgin. I taught him Emergency Stop (no problems) and Parallel Park today. I seem to be finding that, instead of giving precise instruction (reference points, how much to turn the wheel) for parallel parking, my pupils are learning more quickly by working it out for themselves - I just have to tell them where to start from and where they should be looking. It is an ongoing experiment, but I suspect there will be many I have to revert to full instruction for.

An early start tomorrow. Piotr's (2nd) test is at 8.40am, so I am picking him up from Lhanbryde at 7.30. (Obviously) I hope he passes. He was surprisingly upset after his first attempt. He explained "I may look like bastard, but here (pointing to chest) I am soft" (to be read in a Polish accent).

No comments:

Post a Comment