Monday 17 October 2011

Your (not so) flexible friend

In many ways, I am lucky. I don't really have anything I have to commit to on a regular basis. Consequently, I can be very flexible when arranging lessons. Like everyone, I do enjoy my time off, but I don't fix those times. Earlier this year I had a pupil who wanted a two-hour lesson in Alness before their 8.40am test. And a few years ago I had a pupil who desperately wanted a lesson the day before her test, but I was fully-booked, so I agreed to a lesson at 10.00pm. Neither caused me any real problem and were justified by both pupils passing.
But this afternoon I had a telephone enquiry which tested my flexibility: A man called asking if he could begin lessons with me this week.
"Of course.." I replied "what day were you thinking of?"
"Tomorrow at 2.30."
"I'm fully-booked, I'm afraid. In fact, I'm fully-booked until Saturday; would that suit you?"
"Oh........Ok. And you can do every day at 2.30 after that?"
"I will have to check my diary", I said, knowing that I have some pupils who are booked around that time several weeks in advance. "I may be able to do some days at that time, but I have some other customers who have already booked that time."
(Silence......)  "And how much do you charge?"
I wasn't going to mess around and told him my full hourly-rate with no mention of block-booking or student discounts.
(another pause...) "But I can't start tomorrow?"
"I'm afraid not."
"Ok. I have to go now but I will call you in an hour."
'I doubt it very much' I thought. As expected, several hours later, he has not called back.
So, whoever you are, good luck with your driving lessons. I hope you find an instructor that can accommodate you. Having said that, would you want an instructor who had that much availability at such short notice? It would be a bit like going to a restaurant in a busy area on a Saturday night and being offered any table you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment