Thursday 27 October 2011

The return of the Magnificent


Yuck, yuck and triple yuck.
Ullapool has so much going for it but, as previous posts have described, it has no driving test centre. Not such a big deal during the Summer, but, frankly, a bit of a pain when the weather deteriorates.
Just before the driving test starts, the examiner will ask the candidate if they would like their instructor to accompany them during the test. I genuinely don't mind either way. If a pupil wants me to sit in the back of the car for the test that's fine with me (although I cannot say or do anything). Equally, if they prefer not to have me in the car then that's fine too. If I have a pupil on test in Inverness, Alness or Elgin I can wait in the test centre, read, chat with other instructors, catch up on paperwork, arrange lessons. In Ullapool and Gairloch I have to find another way of killing time while I wait for my pupil to return.
Last Tuesday in Ullapool the weather was as filthy as it gets. The normally placid Loch Broom had been whipped into churning black waves with foaming white horses. Any pedestrians brave/stupid enough to be outside had their hoods up and heads down, and scurried across roads with scant regard for approaching traffic. Ullapool was bad enough, but driving over to Ardmair, several of my pupils had their first experience of having to control a car that is being thrown around by the wind and rain.
So, with four of my pupils taking their test the following day, it was an huge relief, on Wednesday morning, to find that the weather had calmed (slightly). It's the little things that can make a difference and even something such as having to vary the windscreen wiper speed can distract a learner driver from more important aspects of their control. Meanwhile, I am very grateful that I had thought to bring my Keela waterproof - not the most stylish, but always bone dry and great protection from the weather, even on an Ullapool test day.
Nothing distracted Seumas. This was his first attempt and, taking the test in his own car, only recorded two driver faults on his way to passing.
Jorine had the next test, at 9.37am. Jorine had not been with me for long, but had had quite a concentrated course, sometimes taking 4 - 6 hours lessons a week. A little bit of pressure because she was intending to return to the Netherlands for a few months in November, meaning that, if unsuccessful, she may have had to wait until next Spring to try again. Fortunately we had no worries and she passed well with just three driver faults. Gelukwensen Jorine.
A previous pupil had recommended me to Alana, who lives right up in Thurso. I know it's stupid, but I always feel a bit more pressure when they have come a long way. A few months ago I had a pupil come up from Glasgow for an intensive course - it was a very big relief when she passed because I dreaded her going all the way home with the thought of having to take her test again. Anyway, Alana spared us any such concerns when she also passed with just two driver faults and went all the way back to Thurso feeling very pleased with herself.
Three out of three, so far. Could we make it four out of four for the day? My 1.33pm test pupil was on her 2nd attempt. She failed her first attempt for being too cautious and hesitant. So recent lessons have concentrated on making her feel more confident at getting the car quickly up to an appropriate speed when it is safe to do so. She asked me to sit in the back for her test and I was very proud of her driving, especially the way she made good progress when it was appropriate. Unfortunately, a slightly rushed manoeuvre meant that her observations were not as good as they should be - one serious fault. But I was very pleased with her driving and I'm confident we'll crack it next time.
So, 3 out of 4 passes in Ullapool, but I had one more Ullapool (well, Achiltibuie) pupil on test, in Inverness the next day. Typically, with a warm waiting room at my disposal (and even up-to-date magazines), it was warm enough to wait outside if I wanted. On her last attempt (also in Inverness) she only had one driver fault (for correcting her bay park), but fatally hesitated at a green traffic light (due to oncoming traffic) and picked up a serious fault. Unfortunately, that last test was beginning to play on her mind and the nerves were creeping in. As she drove back into the test centre it was difficult to tell from her face as to how it had gone, so I was very pleased to see the examiner start filling in the blue pass certificate.
"That was the worse I have ever driven." My pupil said.
"Well it can't have been, otherwise you wouldn't have passed." I suggested.
Mairead passed with 5 driver faults - hardly a bad drive - but, admittedly, not as good as her usual standard. Still, a pass is a pass.
Like all my pupils, when they pass I am almost sad to see them go, especially when they have been so dedicated, as Mairead (or 'Magnificent Mairead' according to her email address) had been. Still, I can now look forward to seeing how Seumas and Mairead's driving develops when I see them for their Pass Plus course in a month or two.

Meanwhile, a couple of amusing items:

No comments:

Post a Comment