Monday 10 October 2011

Ticklish noses and wobbly legs

I have just stopped for lunch at one of Ullapool's finest eateries and, as I strode purposefully into the building, I realised that I was walking like someone who has had an 'accident'. 'What's wrong with my legs?' I thought, as I found a nearby table (to save me walking further).
Yesterday, Jane and I had taken advantage of the improved weather - there had even been some snow on the highest mountains a few days earlier -  to ride the ponies in Culbin Forest, a mile north of our house. Jane has two ponies; Dave, an Arab, and Lachie, a Highland. Lachie, although slightly smaller, is much more strong-boned and sturdy, so he gets lumbered with me. Difficult to tell from this photo whether he likes me tickling his nose or not.
Jane has been riding all her life, so she knows what she is doing. Even so, she still likes to take lessons every now and then because she always feels that there is room for improvement. I'm nowhere near Jane's standard. Until recently, I considered it an achievement if I could complete a ride without falling off and with the horse/pony going vaguely where I wanted it to. At first I struggled to understand why it mattered whether my feet pointed up or down, and my use of the reins was basic to say the least. But gradually I am beginning to appreciate what subtle leg movements do, and how to co-ordinate my whole body to guide Lachie where I want him to go.
Driving is similar in many respects. The brake and accelerator are much more than 'stop' and 'go'; steering can be improved by 'feeling' the wheels holding the road. Continuous work on this 'feel' for the controls will improve your driving and free your brain to concentrate on the road ahead (hazard perception).
Just as Raphael Nadal strives to improve his tennis and Jane looks to better her riding, I am always trying to make my own driving just that bit better. This attitude works for Sebastian Vettel, so it should work for my pupils and me.One thing about driving though.... After a two hour drive, you do not waddle like a duck the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment