Friday 19 November 2010

From frozen Forres to the wild West

Six o’clock this morning, the temperature was -5°C and the sparkling ice carapace that encrusted my car mirrored the millions of stars in the Moray Firth sky. CD player loaded with Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs and I set off on a two hour journey to Gairloch.

Once again, the waiting time for a test has started to creep up at some test centres. Not too bad in Elgin and Inverness, but over twelve weeks in Ullapool at the moment. A little disappointing for those learners who are at, or near, test standard, but especially disappointing for anyone who has recently failed a test that they have to wait so long for another chance.
Last month, I had four pupils taking their test in Ullapool (see ‘And I ask myself ‘How did I get here?’’). Three passed, but the one that did not was a big surprise (insufficient observations on parallel park), I was so confident he would pass easily. Anyway, he wasn’t happy to wait so long for another test, so he asked if he could take it in Gairloch.

It may be a two hour drive for me, but, as I have said before, it is a stunning journey and well worth it just for the views of Slioch and Loch Maree as the sun rises. In the 100 mile section from Garve - Gairloch - Ullapool I barely saw another vehicle and, you can test yourself here, about the only road signs are these:











Now, Gairloch is not the hardest place in the world to take your test - sheep are the most likely hazard - and, before I let my pupils take their test, I like to be confident that they can drive anywhere. No such worries with my pupil, I am sure he could cope with any location.
I met my pupil, Gavin, and we had an unusually relaxed drive - he didn’t seem the slightest bit nervous - before he set off on his test. Unfortunately, disaaarrrrster then struck….. I went to Mountain Café for a coffee, but, zut alors! No marmalade scones! I had been looking forward to one of these lip-smacking beauties ever since Gavin told me he had booked his test here.
Oh yes…. Gavin‘s test…… Never in doubt. He passed with three minor faults.
This success was quickly followed by another of my pupils taking their test in Gairloch due to the lack of Ullapool tests. This was Neil’s first attempt and he passed with five minors.
So, well done Gavin and Neil. Enjoy your driving and I look forward to seeing Gavin again for your Pass Plus.
It was tempting to sneak back to the café to see if they had baked any marmalade scones yet, but, with an iron will, I got back in my car and set off for three full days of tests, lessons and a quiz in Ullapool…………



(Gavin in Gairloch)

No comments:

Post a Comment