Tuesday 15 December 2009

Dad, can I borrow your car now?

It’s grey, so it must be Grantown. No, that’s not fair, I have had some beautiful days here in Strathspey. Unfortunately, today is not one of them.

I am sat in a cosy café, with soft bacon rolls and an espresso for brunch. Meanwhile, Andy is out on his test (first attempt) and, although the rain isn’t as atrocious as it was for (his girlfriend) Verity’s test last month, it is still a mucky day.
Andy is a confident, but controlled driver. However, he is feeling the pressure because Verity passed first time and, also, because he has told everyone about his test; so he has been taking a bit of stick the last few days.
Almost everyone who tells friends and family when they are taking their test regrets doing so. I can understand the excitement when the test is first booked and they want others to share in their excitement that they could soon be free to drive wherever they want. As the test approaches, however, the regular mentions of the test often begin to add to their nerves. It often seems to be the case that, if they don’t pass first time, they keep it quiet the second time. As much as I try to reassure pupils, who have already sat one test, that they have no reason to be nervous because they have been through it before, it is quite common to have more nerves the second time. Glynn, who passed last week, said that he was far more nervous on his 4th test, than he was on his 1st.

I can proudly announce that Andy passed his test. I am sure Verity will be gracious enough not to mention that she passed with less minor faults than Andy. But, a pass is a pass. So, well done, and maybe now your dad will let you drive his VW convertible (although I doubt that you will want to have the roof down at the moment).

Sadly for me, it means I leave Grantown-on-Spey/Aviemore to concentrate on other areas of Northern Scotland. I shall miss those drives over the Dava moor. However, Andy’s efforts this morning mean that I still have a 100% pass rate in Grantown. Tomorrow I am hoping Eddie can further improve my pass rate in Inverness (despite never having had a lesson there - he lives near Elgin).

No comments:

Post a Comment