Friday 4 May 2012

Texting and driving

Don't do it. It's bad.



I have found a useful little app to handle incoming texts. Called, simply, 'Driving text answering machine'. It uses the GPS on a phone to detect your speed. You can then select a speed - say 10mph - then, if anyone texts you when you are traveling above that speed, e.g. when driving, it will send an automatic text reply explaining that you are driving and cannot immediately reply. You can tailor the reply message to say whatever you want. Very simple, but it takes away the temptation to read the text while driving.
I use a slidey wipey keyboard thing (SlideIT) on my phone. Once you get used to it, it is very fast. But you have to be careful because it doesn't always predict what I am trying to say with 100% accuracy (as you may have noticed in previous posts). I was emailing a pupil about his test. I typed "Contact the DSA to book your test for a date in July." Or at least that is what I thought I had typed.... What was on my screen was "Contact the DSA to book your test for a dare in July."
Not really a message to inspire confidence.

It could be worse though... On my old Nokia, whenever I typed 'Inverness' it would try to correct it to 'Governess'. So I had to be really careful if ever I thought about sending the following text to my wife... "Will be late home. Currently in a very wet Inverness."

No comments:

Post a Comment