Sunday 29 April 2012

Silly season (part 2)

In my temporary absence from here, I have had more pupils passing their test. A bit irrelevant to go into all the details now, but congratulations to Emma, Nicola, Kelly, Jasmine, Jim and Sarah on passing their driving tests during the last few weeks.
In my last post I referred to the 'silly season'. But lack of braincells doesn't just apply to people enjoying themselves on holiday. The other day I was teaching a pupil who needed a bit of improvement on their clutch control. Usually, I start off with full, step-by-step instruction on how to do something. Then, as they improve, we move on to prompted instruction - "At the end of the road, turn right..... What's the first thing you need to do? What speed and gear will you want?, etc." If that goes well, we can progress to independent driving, where I shut up and just watch to make sure they are doing everything they need to be doing.
I have a few pupils whose English isn't perfect. That's ok, because my Dutch, Polish, Slovakian and Bangladeshi isn't great either. So, sometimes in these cases, I skip the prompted instruction. I give them lots of fully-guided instruction then, when I think they are beginning to do things before I ask them, I back off and leave them to it (hopefully).
Anyway, my pupil was struggling with clutch control, so I had planned a route which included some hills leading up to give-way junctions. He found it difficult. There is one particular give-way which is at the top of a steep slope and is a blind junction - you cannot see what is coming until you have already started creeping out into the new road - your clutch control has to be very precise. Quite scary for any driver, let alone a learner. Gradually, with lots of repeated attempts, with full instruction, he was beginning to 'get it'. We were nearing the end of the lesson and I wanted a couple of attempts with no instruction. I wanted him to do it by himself.
As we approached the junction, we overtook a parked driving school car (with just the instructor in the car). I was watching my pupil check his mirrors, indicate, brake progressively........ so far so good..... when I noticed in my mirror the other instructor move off and accelerate towards the back of our car (and the junction). 
I have to say, most other drivers had been very good throughout the lesson and, appreciating the difficulty of the junction, had kept back from us when we were negotiating the manoeuvre. You expect the odd car to approach too quickly, or too closely, but not a driving instructor. I had my feet poised over the dual controls. If my pupil brought the clutch up too much, or too quickly, we risked shooting forward into a road we could see (or stalling). If he didn't bring the clutch up enough, or too slowly, the car would come to a stop and possibly roll back into the car behind us. 
So it was a combination of pride, relief and annoyance that I experienced when my pupil judged the speed and clutch control perfectly and safely emerged from the junction.
I know that the other instructor reads this blog, so I have a question for you: What were you thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment