Monday 4 July 2011

Public image limited

I burnt my wrist whilst doing some experimental cookery the other day. I didn't think too much about it at the time but, this morning, as I was drawing a diagram for my pupil I noticed the unsightly burns and became quite self-conscious about it. Nothing I could do, as I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt, and it was ridiculous to consider that my pupil may have been bothered by it... she probably didn't even notice it.
Last Summer I was enjoying a day off when one of my pupils called and asked if she could try and fit in an extra lesson before her test. The only possible time was that afternoon and, having nothing special planned, I agreed to give up a couple of hours of my afternoon to try and boost her confidence. Being my day off, I was wearing knee-length shorts and a T-shirt, with flip-flop things on my feet. I usually don't give the slightest consideration to my appearance, as my wife will testify, except when I am working. As soon as I picked my pupil up I became quite embarrassed about the fact that I was not dressed for work.
Ever since I started as an instructor I have always worn a shirt and trousers (or smart jeans) and I usually wear a tie (unless it is too warm). I feel much more comfortable in old jeans and a T-shirt, but, when teaching, I am trying to portray a professional appearance. I am sure that many of my pupils probably don't even notice what I wear, but even if only one does, then it is worth the effort.
It is not just clothes. There are all sorts of factors which may change the perception a customer (or potential customer) may have of me as an instructor. 
Are my hands clean? It may sound silly, but they have to touch the same controls that I have been touching (and I keep anti-bacterial wipes in my car for when the odd pupil doesn't look to have the cleanest of hands).
Is my car clean inside and out? There have been some weeks when I have cleaned my car four times, but it doesn't look good if my car is dirty. And, with the exception of my diary, my laptop, an A4 notebook and some carefully chosen CDs , I try to keep the interior of my car as clear as possible.
Of course my driving has to be exemplary too. I have seen other instructors speeding, smoking in their car, parking in inappropriate places and even using their mobiles while driving. But, if I noticed it, then it is possible that a potential customer noticed it too. When I was with BSM there was a junction near to the Inverness office with a road sign indicating 'No right turn', but in small letters beneath it said 'For vehicles over 3 tonnes'. People used to call Eddie, the office manager at BSM, and complain that they had seen an instructor turning right into that road. And it wasn't the only time that someone would call and comment on something that they had seen a BSM car do. Of course, I'm sure their own driving was completely without fault.
Last Thursday afternoon, I was driving between lessons in Ullapool, listening to the women's semi-final at Wimbledon on radio 5live. Maria Sharapova was beating Sabine Lisicki and, being a pleasant warm day, I had the windows open. I was slowing down to approach a cross-roads when Sharapova gave her most enthusiastic grunt. Instantly, every pedestrian within earshot turned to look at my car. I was hoping that she would do another so that everyone would (hopefully) realise it was the tennis, but she had won the point with that shot, so I drove away from the area with all those people probably wondering what on earth was going on in my car. Orgasmic shrieks are not really what you want to hear from the windows of a driving instructors car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment