Wednesday 8 December 2010

Grey clouds on the horizon... Yippee!

It's hard to imagine, that yesterday, when the temperature didn't get above -4C all day and actually dipped to -15C at 11.30am, that things could be worse. But conditions were actually much worse in the Central Belt where a combination of slush re-freezing, then more heavy snow and temperatures too low for grit to have an effect caused complete havoc on the motorways and roads around Edingburgh, Glasgow and Sterling. There were tales of people being stuck in their cars for over 20 hours. Not pleasant.
It was almost a relief when, on setting out for my first lesson this morning, the thermometer displayed only -4C
I had my first test cancellation of the winter today. My pupil was supposed to be taking her test in Elgin but the roads there are as bad as anywhere in the areas I cover. I had a chat with the examiners and they said that they did not expect any tests to be taking place in the near future.
However.....
I had a look at the Met Office website just now and tomorrow there are positive temperatures forecast for tomorrow, only 1 - 3 C in Inverness and Elgin, but a whopping 7C in Ullapool. Not only that, but on Friday and Saturday, the temperature could soar to a scorching 9 or 10C! Of course, every silver lining has a cloud, and heavy rain is the price we will have to pay for the comparative warmth.
I used to put as much trust in weather forecasts as I do in horoscopes, but they do seem to be more accurate these days and even if the temperatures forecast are a few degrees out, it should still be enough for a bit of a thaw. Not much of a consolation for my pupil, she has been so looking forward to (hopefully) passing her test, but who knows when it will be re-scheduled for.

No comments:

Post a Comment