Saturday 5 June 2010

D'Oh! (again)

Just a minor addition to yesterday's post:

I had a new pupil start today. It is his 17th birthday. Before starting with the usual Cockpit drill and Controls lesson I questioned him on what experience he has already had driving. Despite the fact that he is only legally allowed to drive from today, he has has practice on his grandfather's croft and has experience of driving cars around a car park. It shows. His steering and pedal control are excellent, better than most pupils who have had 20 - 30 hours instruction. He also rides a moped, so he has good knowledge of Mirror-Signal-Position-Speed-Gear-Look and he is tackling the junctions with ease.
After Q&A on crossroads theory, I briefly introduce 'meeting traffic' and then it is time to drive home. I am very impressed by his ability and compliment him on his driving. Just as I do that we pass a few of his school friends as we are approaching a crossroads. His approach is too fast and he has to stop at the give way line when a slower approach would have given him time to see that the junction was clear.
"Why did you have to stop at that junction when you did not have to stop at the previous (similar) junction?"
"I was going too fast."
"Why was that?"
"My friends put me off. They might have thought I was driving too slow."
I did not know whether to slap my forehead or his.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Farl. My son was 17 yesterday and took his first lesson, followed by some practise in our car (expensive insurance or what!). I am, therefore a little alarmed to read your last 2 posts, and only hope that my son doesn't turn out to be a Nobby! Will encourage him to read your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Helen. Good luck to your son with his driving. I very much doubt that you will let him be a 'Nobby' (although if he is an Everton fan then it is a possibility).

    ReplyDelete