Friday 21 May 2010

Downs and ups

I could easily bore you senseless with tales of how good it feels when a pupil passes their test. What I am obviously more reluctant to write about is when a pupil doesn’t pass.

When I get a succession of passes it is easy to think that I am doing everything right and that all a pupil has to do is turn up to my lessons in order to pass their test. Then a pupil fails their test and I come back to Earth with a big bump. Conversely, I may have a run of several fails and begin to wonder what I am doing wrong, then a pupil will pass their test and I am reassured that sometimes I am doing something right.

This week I had six pupils taking their test; five 1st attempts, one 3rd attempt. As always, I will only put a pupil forward to test when I am confident that they will pass. There is no point me putting a pupil up for test when I only think they MIGHT pass.

My first pupil lives in Ullapool, but not wanting to wait months for an Ullapool test, she bravely booked her test in Inverness. No problem. She has not had to deal with traffic lights, dual-carriageways or even roundabouts in Ullapool, but she is a competent driver, so we had to work on transferring her skills to the new situations that Inverness would present. By the time her test came, I was very confident that she would pass. She was on the A9 dual-carriageway and safely overtook a slower-moving vehicle. Unfortunately, she was late moving back to the left lane. Result: Fail. I can’t explain it. She can’t explain it.

My second pupil was taking her third test in Elgin. I was confident that she would pass her 1st test. I was very confident she would pass her 2nd. I was convinced she would pass her 3rd. Result: Fail. The examiner said she put the handbrake on before she had fully stopped. I have never known her do such a thing and she doesn’t remember doing it. She was also faulted for driving too close to the centre of the road. Again, it is something she has never done before and she denies doing it.

Yesterday I travelled to Ullapool for three days of lessons and tests. A Dutch family, with a somewhat vocal toddler, are staying in the same B&B as me. I am beginning to wonder if they are over here on some family suicide pact. Firstly, the mother swung open her offside car door just as my pupil was driving past. Then, later, with a different pupil, the mother swung her toddler’s buggy out into the road as we drove past. There are suggestions that electric cars should be made artificially noisy to alert pedestrians to their presence. Judging by this lady’s actions, even those megaphones used by political parties as they drive around would not be enough to warn some people. Such situations may provide me with an opportunity to emphasise the importance of anticipation and adequate clearance, but I would rather use a wipe board or a sketchbook to teach these subjects, rather than real-life nutters.

Four pupils on test today. Last month I was pleased with four passes out of five tests. This month I was confident of a clean sweep. Very confident.

First up was Marcus, who has had all his lessons in his own car. I couldn’t see any weakness in his driving. Result: Pass. Very well done Marcus.
My next pupil was very nervous. She has been learning with me since November and, again, I could not think of a single weakness in her driving, possibly my best pupil. Result: Fail. I was almost as upset as she was. I guess the nerves got to her. She stalled at a T-junction, got flustered, rushed, and went to pull out when a car was approaching. It’s bewildering; she has never given any sign of doing such a thing in a lesson.
The third pupil has learned very quickly, but regular practice in his parents’ car has given him the necessary confidence. If I had any concern, it was that his reading of the road ahead could be improved. Result: Fail. Perhaps I should have heeded my concerns. He was on a road, full of parked cars (on his side). There is usually room to pass safely, but today, one of the oncoming cars was towing a caravan. A wide caravan. Too late he realised that it would be a problem and he stopped, but too far over towards the other side of the road.
My fourth pupil has also been with me since November and, despite regular practice between lessons, has been keen to keep taking weekly lessons. If I had any concerns it was that sometimes, when driving the Fiat after hours of driving his own car, he would be a bit light on the accelerator and stall. Result: Pass. Very well done Ryan. Hope you enjoyed driving around this afternoon without me to bother you.

After the 2.30pm test I was curious as to who had the 3.27pm test. No-one did. The examiner drove home. I have to confess that this troubles me. Yes, I know the examiners have a long drive to/from Ullapool, but, with only one test day a month, I would hope that more tests could be squeezed into that day. When my pupil took her test in Elgin this Monday, it was at 5.37pm. Sometimes, in late December, it is touch and go as to whether there is enough light for even the 3.27pm test, but that obviously doesn’t apply in May. So, with only five tests being conducted and only two passes (I know the other test did not pass), there are another three pupils who may have to wait until possibly August before they get another chance to pass their test.

That left me feeling very disappointed for my pupils and starting to blame myself. What had I done wrong in their lessons? What had I missed? Had my fault analysis been good enough? No time to dwell on such matters because I still had another four pupils to give lessons to:

1st pupil: Had been having the odd problems with junctions. Analysis: Approach speed too fast. Remedy: Brake earlier. Result: Much better junctions and one happy pupil.
2nd pupil: Ready for her test but lacking confidence in her parking: Analysis: Trying to drive accurately while making effective observation. Remedy: Give herself more time to deal with accuracy and observations, stopping if necessary. Result. Perfect Parallel parking and another happy pupil.
3rd pupil: Junctions are inconsistent. Analysis: Not always applying Mirror-Signal-Position-Speed-Gear-Looking routine. Remedy: Commentary driving. Getting her to talk her way through her approach to junctions. Result: Much better junctions and one beaming pupil.
4th pupil: Junctions are also inconsistent. Analysis: Coasting due to fear of stalling when braking. Remedy: Demonstrating how much he could brake before having to use clutch. Result: Perfect approach to junctions.

That is exactly the afternoon I needed: Four pupils all showing definite improvement over the course of their lessons. All I need now is for the DSA to show more improvement, or generosity, in the scheduling of their tests.

2 comments:

  1. Quality post martin. mmm sounds like dsa love early clock offs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sabina. That was my initial impression. To give them the benefit of the doubt, it could be that other tests had been booked, but cancelled with short notice.

    ReplyDelete