Wednesday 6 January 2010

Giants, Fiat 500s and other myths

When I very first started this blog, back in July, I mentioned that BSM were due to replace their Vauxhall Corsas and Astras with Fiat 500s. Initially, I was told that the London area would be the first to exchange, and then Scotland, and then the rest of the UK. It did seem a little odd that the exchanges would jump from London, up to Scotland, and then back down south again, but who was I to question the reasoning.

As you will know from previous posts, I still have my Vauxhall Corsa (now with a slightly tarnished rear end).
I previously wrote about many BSM instructors being very upset about the decision. And, especially with those who had the larger Astra, I could sympathise. However, I was quite looking forward to the Fiat. The Corsa’s not a bad car, in fact, it regularly tops the ‘Best Driving Instructor Car’ lists. But I hate the stupid indicators, which are particularly troublesome to pupils who get extra practice in other (non-Vauxhall) cars, and there are awkward blind-spots (although the Fiat apparently has these too). I guess I am just looking forward to a change, especially having driven the Fiat and (gradually) getting used to the shape of it.
Much of the initial opposition was to the size of the Fiat. Externally, it is certainly smaller than the Corsa, but internally, there is actually more leg-room for the driver and front passenger, but less for passengers in the rear. My (current) pupils range between about 5’2” and 6’2”, so I don’t imagine that any of them would have any problem, but, according to the BSM Instructor Forum, most of the problems have been with shorter pupils. One was amused to read an article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1238718/Pictured-The-7ft-1ins-learner-driver-hoping-pass-test-tiny-Fiat-500-car.html) a 7’1” pupil who is having lessons with BSM in a Fiat. He doesn’t look particularly comfortable in the car, but then he wouldn’t look any more comfortable in a Corsa either. Or almost any other car that wasn’t a convertible, come to that.

I asked, on the forum, whether any instructors in Scotland had got the Fiat yet. One person said they had, but did not say where they were from. So the wait goes on. On the bright side, there seems to be quite a few favourable reports about how the Fiat 500 is coping with the atrocious weather. It seems to be that its small size is making it less likely to get stuck in snow, compared to other cars.
On the other hand, perhaps it was good fortune that I still had the Corsa yesterday. If I had been in the Fiat when hit from behind, we might have been shunted to the other end of the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment