Saturday 30 January 2010

Boom and bust (and mini-boom)

This is such an unpredictable job. The rate at which I gain new pupils should be roughly proportional to the rate at which people reach the age 17. In other words, it should be fairly consistent. The traditional exception to this is the Christmas period when holidays, hangovers and simple lack of money usually brings a drop in lessons. So I was very happy when, in the weeks before Christmas, I suddenly gained a lot of new pupils.
Then, just when I was looking forward to a prosperous New Year, the work just stopped.
I was hit by a 'perfect storm' of factors: The snow was the biggest factor; Christmas was another; five of my pupils went on the same skiing trip, causing me to lose almost twenty hours there; some of the 'new' pupils I gained before Christmas were people who had already learned to drive, but just wanted a couple of lessons before their test; three pupils moved away, and some pupils just 'disappeared'.
I have (or had) three pupils who spent quite a bit of money on hours of lessons. One can't be bothered to take his theory test (after one failed attempt) and doesn't want any more lessons until has passed his theory (which, despite prompting and encouragement, is unlikely). Another has passed his theory, and was very keen to take his test as soon as possible, but was reluctant to take any lessons in the snow and has not been heard of since. The third one has had several attempts at learning to drive but, this time, she bought herself a car as an incentive to see it through. She bought a block of ten hours and was quite concerned that BSM might give her a different instructor after her Christmas break (in case you are wondering - no, they wouldn't). Sadly, despite leaving several messages, we have not heard anything from her in six weeks. Meanwhile, her new car presumably sits under a pile of snow and starts to rust.
You can't help but wonder if I am suddenly doing something which upsets or offends my pupils. I haven't changed my aftershave, I haven't stopped brushing my teeth, I haven't started picking my nose and wiping it on the steering wheel, I haven't ever subjected my pupils to my rendition of Running Bear and I haven't changed the way I teach. So it remains a bit of a mystery.
All this means that the last few weeks have been so bad that I have barely earned enough to pay for my franchise and fuel. The recession wasn't just biting, it was chomping ferociously.
Then, just like early December, the last few days have seen a flood of new pupils. Arran was the first, in Inverness last Wednesday. Ashleigh was next, in Forres yesterday. Then Dawn and Becky were both promising new pupils in Ullapool today. Monday sees no less than three new pupils, Carl, Kevin and Karla, all in Inverness. Finally, Helen in Kinloss, next Wednesday, completes the octet of new pupils in eight days.
The BSM franchise could never be described as 'cheap'. In fact, as far as I know, it is the most expensive driving school franchise. Many of the new pupils I picked up towards the end of last year came from my own efforts; either via personal recommendations, or via my website or listings on Google and Yell. It made me consider whether I should continue paying the BSM franchise. This week, however, it was an absolute bargain, so I would like to thank Eddie and Mairi, in the BSM Inverness office, for their support.
So, after some tough times, my pupil levels, my bank balance and even Liverpool FC seem to be on the up. Not only that, but, finally, we have news of the Fiat 500. I collect mine on Wednesday morning.
I'm not going to proclaim anything so rash as 'the end of the bad times' (as some political commentators claimed this week), and, who knows, some of these new pupils might also disappear. But, for the first time this year, I am really looking forward to next week.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Recession has indeed affected many businesses and establishments even freelancers too. But let's just hope for the best and pray for better days.

    ReplyDelete