Wednesday 2 January 2013

Sneaking in at the back

I feel a little bit like arriving late to school, or work; trying to sneak in unnoticed without the teacher/boss spotting me. Over eleven weeks since I last set finger on these pages. I used to to think I was slacking if I went eleven days without a post. Shockingly poor form on my part.
"Well? BOY?!?! What is your excuse this time?!"
"Um...."  I can't think of a good reason. I have just been neglectful. There have been many times, these last few months, when I have thought of something I wanted to write about, but then changed my mind; or become so busy with other things that the moment passes and I have lost the urge to write. And sometimes, when I have thought 'I must write something in my blog', I have had a severe case of writer's block and not been able to think of anything worthwhile to say. But so much has happened: We have had new additions to our family ('Hello to Frankie and Dolly') - and one subtraction ('Goodbye Jilly'). I have had a healthy run of pupils passing their tests and being replaced by new pupils. We have witnessed all manner of bizarre behaviour from pupils, other road users, and even examiners. In fact, in such a time of change and surprise, the only thing that seems consistent is Liverpool FC's inconsistency.
So.... Happy New Year. Let's get the niceties and formalities out of the way. I hope 2013 will be the happiest and healthiest year yet. From a business point of view, I will be happy if 2013 is even 75% as good as 2012. Perhaps I should be more positive.... more..... thrusting. But, in truth, I was too busy in 2012. Where I used to claim that I was flexible, as far as fitting in with my pupils' needs, I just haven't been able to always give everyone the time that they wanted in recent months. I have spent ages trying to jiggle my diary around, constantly trying to create space to fit extra lessons in. And I have been lucky in that there has been a much smaller proportion of lesson cancellations, compared to some previous years. But, sometimes, I have actually been relieved when someone has cancelled. I shouldn't say that, I know. But it's true.
I have previously talked about pupils who have wished to remain anonymous, and I will always respect those wishes. And I have sometimes even had pupils ask if I would mention them in this blog - I can't imagine why, but I have done so on occasion. But, usually, I only mention pupils when they have passed their test, or done something else equally praiseworthy. Of course, being so lapse of late, I have not congratulated anyone for months. So.....
Congratulations to Rachel and Jamie on the birth of their baby girl, Frankie. I'm far too young to become a grandfather for the FIFTH time! (But, I'll make an exception in this case). 
Congratulations to Aaron, Alasdair, Alexander, Alison, Alistair, Andrew, Andy, Ashleigh, Ashton, Beth, Bethany, Brianna, Caitlin, Catherine, Catriona, Christopher, Conner, Daniel, Emma, Emma, Erin, Fergus, Gigha, Gracie, Hannah, Hayley, Hollie, James, James, Jasmine, Jean, Jemma, Jennifer, Jennifer, Jim, Joanne, Jodie, Josh, Julie, Kelly, Kerry, Kim, Lauren, Lawrence, Lean, Leanne, Lewis, Liam, Louise, Marcus, Mark, Matt, Melanie, Mhairi, Michelle, Nicola, Nigel, Olivia, Oonagh, Paul, Pauline, Piotr, Rehan, Robbie, Rory, Ross, Ruairidh, Sandy, Sarah, Seoras, Sophie, Struan, Tanja, Thomas and two others, who prefer not to be mentioned, on passing your driving tests in 2012. I wish you all safe driving. (and apologies if I missed anyone.)
Congratulations to Joanne on conquering Kilimanjaro. Various other pupils have done extraordinary things in 2012, but I think Joanne's was the one I was most in awe (and most jealous) of. 
New Year's resolutions? Hmmm....well......ummm......let me see....... I guess I should try to be a bit more organised. Maybe 'organised' isn't the exact word.... Perhaps 'structured' is better. I have done enough 'New pupil dances' (Apologies, Lochrie, for pinching your phrase) in 2012 to wear out several pairs of shoes. The trouble is, I don't like turning work down. There was a few weeks towards the end of the Summer when I seemed to be taking on another new pupil almost daily, but then I would worry about how I could possibly fit everyone in. In fact, I did turn down four new pupil enquiries over the Summer, but perhaps I should have turned down more. So, New Year resolution is to try and make my diary more structured and only take on new pupils when they can fit it around existing pupils. 
Ok.... I don't want to overdo it. I'm out of shape, blogging-wise, so I think that will do for now. 
Wishing you all the best for the New Year and I will try not to leave it so long next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment