Thursday 4 October 2012

Open all hours

One of the bonuses of being self-employed is that I decide what hours I work. Having said that, I try to be flexible and do my best to fit in with what my pupils/customers want. A few years ago a pupil, who had her test the next morning, called me to ask if she could fit in another lesson that night. I tried to reassure her that her driving was easily good enough to pass, but she really wanted an extra lesson. As a result, I fitted her in at 9.30pm, so I didn't get home until nearly 11.00pm.
Then, last year, another pupil, with an 8.40am test, wanted a two hour lesson before his test, so I set off to work at 6.15am that day.
A couple of weeks ago, a new pupil had her first lesson and we were trying to arrange the next few lessons. 
I remember trying to arrange a lesson with someone who asked me for a morning lesson. I offered her 11.30am (it was the only slot I had left). "No, that's too early for me. Have you got anything later?" she asked. Not really my definition of 'morning'.
So when she asked me "Do you do mornings?" I wondered exactly what time she had in mind.
"What time would you like?" I asked.
"Five O'clock?"
"A.M?"
"Yes. Can we do 5.00 - 7.00am two our three times a week?"
Slightly shocked, I agreed.
The first morning I was cursing myself for agreeing to such an early start (especially as my alarm was set for a mere five hours after flying back from Birmingham). But, now, I quite like these early lessons. Elgin is almost completely empty at this time, so we get so much done in those two hours. And it is quite nice getting two hours work under my belt, then going home for breakfast to set me up for a full day's work.
I might change my mind again next week when her colleague starts lessons with me, meaning three 5.00am starts and two 6.00am starts in one week.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    I found a great driving training school where I learn driving in proper way and here we maintain disciplines.

    Driving Schools A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments. Feel free to comment on any post

    ReplyDelete