Thursday 17 March 2011

Ullapool tests

Tuesday 15th March 2011

7am Tuesday morning and I’m enjoying two hours of tea and tranquillity, but bracing myself for what is to come: 18 hours of lessons, plus no less than nine tests in the next three days.

Once one of my pupils has passed their theory test we discuss when to book their driving test. They can pay me and I will do it for them, or they can do it themselves. For my Inverness and Elgin pupils I advise them to quote my ADI number when booking, to avoid two pupils booking tests that clash. Where my Ullapool pupils are concerned, there is no chance of a clash because one examiner comes up once a month and he can obviously only conduct one test at a time.

A few months ago one of my Ullapool pupils told me they had booked their test at 1.33pm on 16th March. I checked my diary and saw that another of my pupils had already booked a test in Ullapool at that time. I assumed that one of them had made a mistake and did not immediately worry about it. The next week, a similar thing happened; two pupils told me they had booked their test for 10.44am on 16th March. Then two more pupils booked their test for 8.40am on the same day. What was going on? Surely they could not all be mistaken? I went online to check and, sure enough, they were all correct.
I called the DSA to find out what had happened. They confirmed that the test time were correct because TWO examiners were being sent to Ullapool that day. The problem is I only have ONE car!
I explained the situation to all six pupils and discussed the options:
1. Move their test back to a later date (not popular).
2. Try to find another test time on that date (there were none that did not clash with some of my other pupils’ tests).
3. Consider taking their test in Inverness or Gairloch (again, not popular).
4. Try to find another car.

Lots of phone calls and texts ensued and I managed to juggle a few tests around. I was still left with three pairs of clashing tests, but I had managed to switch tests around so that two of the clashing tests each had a pupil who was happy to use their own car.
With two weeks to go I still had two pupils who had no other car they could use and neither were willing to move their test back to a later date. The nightmare scenario was that, without the problem being resolved, both pupils would turn up at the test centre for their test and I would have to toss a coin to see who took their test - unthinkable.
The situation was finally resolved when I placed an ad in the local paper, asking if anyone taking the 9.37am test would be willing to swap to 10.44am. Someone responded to the ad and I was able to call the DSA and swap the two tests over. Finally. Problem solved.
Well, not quite. One of my pupils who was going to take the test in his own car has now got a problem with his car that cannot be fixed before his test. So he has been forced to ask another instructor if he can use his car.
Today I have nine pupils having lessons, then Wednesday I have eight pupils on test (plus three additional lessons). I would love to predict that all eight will pass - and they are all good enough to pass - but mathematical probability suggests it is unlikely. The big problem comes if a few of them don’t pass because they may then have to wait until June, or even July, to retake their test.
Fingers crossed then, but I have done what I can, it’s down to my pupils now.

***********************************************************
Wednesday 16th March 2011
I never used to be an early bird, I was much more of a night owl, but these days I often find myself waking up before my alarm - particularly on test days.

Wednesday morning it was the bright morning light that woke me soon after six. A pristine Ullapool morning with not a speck of cloud. Although maybe it was anxiety that woke me early. Yesterday, two of my lessons were with very new learner drivers and, with eight tests the following day, I was particularly anxious for them not to hit any curbs. I have only ever had two pupils damage tyres by hitting the curb, but, with no full spare tyre in my car, I dread it happening just before a test.

By eight o’clock I had refuelled, washed my car and was heading to my first lesson. I had two pupils taking the 8.40am test, with one of them using his own car (which, without power steering, was hard work for him on the manoeuvres). Ruairidh (in his own car) had previously asked if I could sit in the back of his test. It would have been strange sitting in the back of someone else’s car, watching another pupil go out in my own car, but, when the time came, Ruairidh decided he would be fine without me in the back. He was fine, passing with 2 minor faults. Unfortunately, my other pupil misjudged a junction and failed for his approach speed. A mixed start to the day.

I have three or four pupils taking their test today whose approach to junctions and hazards is perfection. Heather, taking the 9.37am test, was one such pupil. She had kindly let me move her test around a couple of times to accommodate other pupils, so I especially wanted her to pass. Seven minor faults is more than we would have liked, but still a comfortable pass.

My next pupil, taking the 10.44am test, was an equally good driver. Her pedal control is so good that her gear changes are seamless. It was therefore a big shock when the examiner opened the door at the end of her test and beckoned me over. She had been on the 60mph road to Ardmair when, in front of her, a truck had been struggling to get up the hill. Rather than hang back and look for a safe opportunity to overtake, she had let herself get too close and the examiner deemed it a serious fault. Whenever a pupil fails their test I wonder if I had left a gap in their knowledge. I may be blowing my own trumpet, but this is almost never the case. With this pupil however, I am blaming myself because, although we covered safe following distances, we rarely had the opportunity to see it in practice (most of her lessons were on quiet Sunday mornings), so I am not convinced that I had made her understand the concept. I always feel bad for the ones that don’t pass, but I do feel especially bad for her because her driving is usually textbook.

The 11.41am test was taken by a pupil who, in addition to the lessons in my car, has had plenty of practice in his parents’ car - an automatic. At first I wasn’t sure whether this was a good idea, but his clutch and gear control have not been a problem, so no harm done. His early lessons were very promising, but I seem to have spent most of his lessons trying to slow him down. My advice finally sank in and he has realised how much easier driving is when he gives himself plenty of time on approach to hazards/junctions. This was proved when he passed today with 2 minor faults. So well done Daniel, I look forward to seeing you for the Pass Plus course (and thanks to your mum for the delicious meal).

A while back I wrote about trading driving lessons for goods and accommodation. Last October, the manager of an Ullapool hotel suggested a deal where I taught his wife in return for food and accommodation. A wonderful suggestion because I usually need to stay 2 or 3 nights a week in Ullapool and his wife, Anna, was always happy to fit in wherever I had a gap in my schedule. On test days they spoil me in the hotel by providing me with a corner turreted room that overlooks several junctions (as I mentioned last month). And so it was this week. But the weather was so nice today that, while waiting for my pupils to complete their tests, I was happy to sit down by the harbour, rather than hide up in my hotel room. An heavily pregnant Anna ensured that I will have to pay for my Ullapool accommodation from now on by passing easily with 3 minor faults. Although her lessons were, effectively, free for her, Anna always continually tried to improve her driving and was always asking me very technical questions about all sorts of hypothetical driving situations. I wish all my pupils were like her. Warmest congratulations Anna and best wishes for your new arrival.

I had another pupil out on test at the same time as Anna. Ruaridh has had many lessons with me, but was happy to take the test in his own car. Unfortunately, a crack in his windscreen meant that this would not be possible. The cheapest option was to ask another instructor if he could use their car. This instructor, quite rightly, insisted on an assessment lesson before he would agree to this. This morning, while waiting for one of my pupils, I met Ruaridh and wished him well for the test. He then asked me some technical questions that had been raised by the other instructor giving advice which conflicted with the instruction I had given him:
While parallel parking I once had a pupil fail a test because, after pulling alongside the car, she secured her car and looked all around. While she did this a car was approaching from behind. Obviously, with her car in neutral, there was nothing to tell the approaching car that she was about to reverse and the car stopped just behind her, expecting her to drive on. The examiner had to tell her to drive on and she failed her test as a result. Consequently, I always advise my pupils to give a signal to approaching cars (indicator and reversing lights) as soon as possible. The other instructor told Ruaridh he needed to secure the car before selecting reverse gear.
The other conflicting advice involves an unusual situation where the examiner asks them to complete a U-turn within a rural crossroads. They have to turn left into the side road, then swing the car back round to the Give-way line, check to ensure it is safe before continuing the turn right. I advise my pupils to signal left before turning into the first road then, because they are then effectively turning right at a crossroads, they need to signal right. The other instructor told him a right signal was not necessary.
I felt sorry for Ruaridh because two instructors were giving him conflicting advice. I couldn’t say the other instructor is wrong. I could only tell Ruaridh to imagine the situations from the perspective of other approaching drivers and use his common sense. He must have done so for at least forty minutes because he too passed.
Struan had the last test of the day. All that practice in his parents’ estate car paid off because he passed with 3 minor faults. Well done Struan. See you for the Pass Plus.

It was quite a contrast then, after a whole day of test-standard pupils, to have lessons with three novice pupils, but that is one of the beauties of this job.

I am now settled, for the last night in my hotel room, watching the cliché-fest that is Masterchef. I should be proud that I had six pupils pass their test today - a record for me - but it is the two that didn’t pass that weigh on my mind. One day I will come to Ullapool and have all my pupils pass……. next month maybe?

1 comment:

  1. We take responsibility for arranging everything, from finding the right instructor to suit your requirements to booking your theory and practical tests. When you choose our Automatic Driving Lessons Birmingham, you can rest assured that we will take all of the hard work out of getting your licence.

    ReplyDelete