Tuesday 3 November 2009

100%

Well.... I took Verity for her test; my first in Grantown-on-Spey. She has been saying for weeks that she would be nervous so I didn't want to make a big thing about the roadworks (which she didn't know about). Thankfully, the rain had eased by the time we got to Grantown, but it was still falling as snow on the mountains.
It is often tempting to bombard pupils with last minute advice just before the test, but it should never be necessary. To ease her nerves I just told her that, if she made a mistake, forget about it and try to show the examiner just how good she really is. I began to talk about the amount of rain and how to deal with this and how to deal with that, then I just shut up and told her to drive exactly as she has been driving. Never try to drive differently just because it is a test.
Grantown-on-Spey is a part-time test centre, so there is no waiting room; the examiner just comes out, checks their eyesight, asks a couple of questions, then they're off while I find a nice wee cafe to wait in.
After 45 minutes they returned and my heart sank when I saw Verity just mount the curb as she parked. I waited for the dreaded opening of the examiner's door... and waited. Then I saw Verity pass over her provisional licence and I knew that she had passed!
After the formalities I thanked Iris, the examiner, and Verity gave me a hug. "I'VE PASSED! I'VE PASSED! How cool is that?!" I showed her where she had mounted the curb and said "Cooler than your parking."
"I know", Verity replied, "She (the examiner) told me off for that but she said that she could see I was a good driver and told me I had passed."

Then we had a nice drive back to Aviemore to drop Verity off, with chat about the snow on the mountains punctuated by Verity repeatedly saying "I can't believe I just passed my driving test! I can't believe I just passed my driving test!" As I have said before, it is these moments which make me LOVE my job.
So, very well-done Verity. Have fun with your driving; I know you will take care.

I'll leave you with a track from Aztec Camera's High Land Hard Rain album - very appropriate today - http://open.spotify.com/track/1TAFgCSLOsyhF5JdwaM23F. Oh, if you're wondering what the '100%' refers to, that's my Pass rate (in Grantown-on-Spey).

No comments:

Post a Comment